Introduction to Laundry & Dry Cleaning Business in Nigeria
Laundry is the washing of clothes with water, Dry cleaning is without water
Over 170 Million Nigerians wear clothes daily, irrespective of age. 40 percent of this population are very busy persons; some in Government, some in Civil service, some Business persons, some Students, and some are naturally ajebutters.
These persons do not have time to do their own laundry and the risks associated with hiring a house maid is so high nowadays that they won’t even opt for that option but settle for the laundry/dry cleaner. You will have to agree that the task of washing, rinsing, drying, and ironing clothes is so tedious and time consuming that even the average house wife would consider buying a washing machine for this purpose. Also to the poverty level in Nigeria at the moment, and the poor power supply rate, most homes will not be able to afford a washing machine..
For these reasons, laundry and dry cleaning business has become a top and lucrative venture in Nigeria. Last year, I was in Lagos and stayed in the house of a friend whose father operates a laundry. He really didn’t tell me how much his father earns monthly, but he told me about a laundry a friend of his who works in that makes at least N500,000 monthly.
Dry cleaning / Laundry business is not a capital intensive business, and you can start with very LITTLE CAPITAL & from your home till you get an office when the money begins to pour in.
Chioma Okeke owns a Dry Cleaning and Laundary services outfit in Lagos Nigeria, she started out with N1,200, that’s less than $10 dollars according to 101Business TV show in 2014. See the video below:
Stuff to Know before Setting up a Laundry/Dry Cleaning Business in Nigeria
- How to wash different fabrics
- Learn the skill of dry-cleaning
- Ironing different fabric materials
- Business development
Capital Required for a Laundry/Dry Cleaning Business Outfit in Nigeria
Small Scale: 10 – 50 thousand Naira (use your house for the business)
Medium Scale: 50 – 300 thousand Naira (rent a shop for the business)
Equipment needed for the Laundry/Dry Cleaning Business
Depending on your scale of operation, a small scale laundry business can be operated from home with very few equipment such as:
AD: Make over N200k Monthly from E-commerce Affiliate Business. See How
- Washing basins and buckets
A medium scale laundry business will require you hire a space where your customers can find you easily and where you can engage workers who can resume daily, and for this you will need the following equipment:
- Iron and Ironing Table
- Garment Conveyor
- Washing Machine
- Big Washing basins and buckets
- Power generator
How to Promote your Laundry/Dry Cleaning Business to attract more customers
- Home delivery – Offer to pick up dirty fabrics and return finished ones back to them.
- Move Around – Have marketers that move around neighbourhoods asking people if they need laundry services.
- Don’t fail to deliver before deadline
- Customer preferences – Some customers need their clothes to be handled in certain ways, do not forget.
- Offer unique Services – Look at what your competitors are doing and what they are not doing, and improve on what they are not doing, while doing what they are not doing.
- Offer better Prices – Offer a fair and standard price for a high service quality.
- Get to know your customers – If possible, remember their birthdays and message them. They will feel loved and will love your business.
- Print Fliers, Handbills and Business Cards – You never may know where it will get to
- Brand your Finished Products – Have a branded packaging for every finished work you are about to deliver to your customer. Chances are that a potential customer will pick up the packaging after it has been discarded.
Pricing for Laundry/Dry Cleaning business startup in Nigeria
Here is the estimated pricing for washing and ironing but may vary depending on your location in Nigeria, so find out what is obtainable from your location:
- Shirt – N250 per one
- Trousers – N200 per one
- Suit – N800 per one
- Bed spreads – N700 per one
- Bed Blankets – N1,500 per one
1 Year Income Projection for the Laundry/Dry Cleaning business in Nigeria
The business is a very profitable one. Using the price list above,
If you wash 10 shirts, 5 Trousers, 2 Suits, 1 bed spread, 1 Bed blanket daily, you will make:
2500 + 1000 + 1600 + 700 + 1500 = 7,300 Naira Daily, equivalent to 220,000 Naira Monthly.
In the first year, you would have made 220,000 * 12 = 2,640,000 Naira
LET'S HELP YOU GET STARTED THIS VALENTINE
- Are you planning on starting a NEW Business? PRE-ORDER A FEASIBILTY STUDY
- Are you trying to secure a loan or convince an investor? PRE-ORDER BUSINESS PLAN
- Do you need a business Website/Blog to enable you reach more customers GET QUOTES
- Are you looking to outsource your Social Media marketing to experts? GET QUOTES
- Need Automated Business Management Sheets like Cash Books, Profit and Loss Statements, Balance Sheets, Sales Forecasts, HR/Salary Sheets PRE-ORDER BUSINESS SHEETS